Why can’t I log in to ReferenceUSA?
ReferenceUSA is a premier subscription database available to libraries, educational institutions, and government agencies. ReferenceUSA customers have the option of purchasing the remote access function for offsite users. (Remote access is any access from home or another location offsite where ReferenceUSA is presented as a link on the subscribing organization's Website.) If you are experiencing technical difficulties accessing ReferenceUSA, please review the questions below to help us determine the cause of the problem.
- Does the organization from which you are accessing ReferenceUSA have a valid subscription
to the product?
- If you answered 'NO', this is why you are unable to access ReferenceUSA.
- If you answered 'YES', please proceed to question #2.
- Are you attempting to access ReferenceUSA from within (i.e. inside the building
and/or network) the organization subscribing to ReferenceUSA?
- If you answered 'NO', please proceed to question #3.
- If you answered 'YES', is a technical problem at the organization causing this
issue? (The technical administrator at your organization should be able to verify
- If you answered 'NO', please proceed to question #3.
- Are you accessing ReferenceUSA remotely? (Remote access is any access from home
or another location offsite where ReferenceUSA is presented as a link on the subscribing
organization's Web site.)
- If you answered 'NO', please proceed to question #5.
- If you answered 'YES', are you using the minimum system requirements and appropriate
settings for ReferenceUSA? (Please refer to "What are the minimum system requirements
for accessing ReferenceUSA?" below for clarification on system requirements.)
- If you answered 'NO', you will need to upgrade to meet the minimum system requirements for access to ReferenceUSA.
- If you answered 'YES', is there a technical problem with your computer, modem,
ISP (Internet Service Provider - i.e. [AOL] America Online, CompuServe [CS], NetZero,
MSN, etc.) or Internet connection?
- If you answered 'NO', please proceed to question #3c.
- If you answered 'YES', you will need to take the appropriate measures to correct the hardware/software problem(s) on your local computer system, or contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) for issues related to such.
- Do you have valid credentials (i.e. valid barcode, username and password, etc.)
to access this product remotely through the subscribing organization?
- If you answered 'NO', you must contact the organization offering remote access to ReferenceUSA and obtain the appropriate information required to use this function.
- If you answered 'YES', please proceed to question #3d.
- Is there a technical problem with the subscribing organization offering remote access
- If you answered 'NO', please proceed to question #4.
- ii. If you answered 'YES' or 'UNSURE', please contact the technical administrator at the organization offering remote access.
- If ReferenceUSA is offline or unreachable due to either planned maintenance or an unforeseen breakdown, an e-mail message will be generated to a technical representative at each organization subscribing to ReferenceUSA. Please contact us directly at (800) 808-1113 if you have encountered an error that cannot be resolved with the aid of this help text.
- It is very likely that you or your organization do not have a current subscription to ReferenceUSA. If you feel that this is in error, please contact the person responsible for your organization's online subscription resources.
Why can’t I print or download data?
You may receive the following message when attempting to print or download records or data from ReferenceUSA. “You’ve reached your download limit. You have exceeded the remaining free download limit for this account, please revise selected records.” You may continue printing or downloading records but the system is set to only allow a certain number of records per download. Once you download the allotted number of records you need to uncheck those pages of records before downloading the next set of records. Repeat this process of checking the allowed number of records, download/print those records and then uncheck those pages before moving on with more downloading/printing.Top of this Page
Cable modem users deploying firewalls and/or Internet security software disclaimer
As we see the rise in popularity of cable modems and high-speed Internet connections, remote (home) users are becoming more aware of the security factor associated with such. Subsequently, remote (home) users are deploying a variety of personal firewalls and/or Internet security software packages to counter this threat (i.e. LynkSys Firewall, Norton Internet Security Software, etc).
Remote (home) users can easily overcome any access issue involving this scenario and ReferenceUSA by reconfiguring the device and/or software. Although ReferenceUSA and its staff are not qualified to troubleshoot and support remote (home) users’ personal firewalls and/or security software, most vendors of these devices/software packages offer technical support for customers.
If you are connected to the Internet via a cable modem with a personal firewall and/or Internet security software and are receiving the username/password challenge page from ReferenceUSA, it is possible that reconfiguring the device/software will correct this issue. Please refer to the device/software users’ manual and/or the vendor for additional technical assistance.Top of this Page
What types of authentication methods are available for access to ReferenceUSA?
ReferenceUSA's infrastructure has been designed to accommodate virtually every network configuration used today for both internal and remote users. (Remote access is any access from home or another location offsite where ReferenceUSA is presented as a link on the subscribing organization's Web site). The primary methods of authentication are as follows:
- IP (Internet Protocol) Authentication
- For this method, subscribing customers would need to provide us with a valid IP range of workstations, servers and/or firewalls from which ReferenceUSA will be accessed over the Internet. Once this is accomplished, those users will be able to access ReferenceUSA directly without impediment.
- Secured & Unsecured Referring URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
- For this method, subscribing customers would create a link to ReferenceUSA from
either a secured or unsecured page within their Web site.
- If the page is secured, the subscribing customer has verified the integrity and credentials of remote users via an authentication/validation process. Those users will be allowed direct access to the product when forwarded from the subscribing customer's secured link (or referring URL).
- If the page is unsecured, ReferenceUSA can present a challenge page prompting users for specific log on credentials (i.e. barcode, or username and password). Once the remote user enters the correct log on information, direct access to the product is granted.
- For this method, subscribing customers would create a link to ReferenceUSA from either a secured or unsecured page within their Web site.
- Persistent Cookie Authentication
- For this method, users will need to log into a designated cookie installation page with a specific cookie installation username/password combination. After the initial log on has been completed, a persistent cookie is deposited onto the workstation(s) accessing ReferenceUSA. Every time the workstation(s) access ReferenceUSA following the successful installation of the cookie, the workstation(s) will be able to access without seeing a challenge page, as if they were IP authenticated. Once the cookie is installed, it should not need to be reinstalled unless the cookie is deleted. It is equally important to remember to enable persistent cookies in the browser configuration settings prior to installation.
Which Internet browser is the best to use, and what setting will I need to access ReferenceUSA?
We recommend using the most recent version of Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, or Google Chrome. The current versions of these browsers may be downloaded from their respective Web sites if you wish to upgrade.
Users who are not using one of the minimum browser(s) listed above may find that some or all of the pages within ReferenceUSA will not display properly. This is due to the browser differences and is especially common if the browser(s) are still in a beta development period. In addition, all browsers should be "Java" and frames enabled, with caching turned on.
ReferenceUSA is optimized for viewing on a screen with a resolution of 1024 x 768 or better and with at least 256 colors.
Note: If you are accessing ReferenceUSA remotely, YOU CANNOT BOOKMARK ReferenceUSA. (Remote access is any access from home or another location offsite where ReferenceUSA is presented as a link on the subscribing organization's Web site.) Typically, remote access to ReferenceUSA is offered via a secured host that authenticates/validates users prior to forwarding them to ReferenceUSA. Accessing ReferenceUSA via a bookmark that you have created sidesteps the authentication process and breaches security.Top of this Page
Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 7.0 Browser (Cookie) Configuration Setting Modification Instructions
If you are using the Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7.0 browser and are receiving a username/password prompt when attempting to access www.referenceusa.com remotely, you may need to modify your default browser cookie handling configuration settings to resolve this issue. The steps to accomplish this are outlined below for your convenience.
- Open a new Microsoft Internet Explorer browser session.
- Hold down the Alt Key
- Click on the Tools drop-down menu and select Internet Options…
- When the Internet Options window appears click on the Privacy tab, then the Advanced… button.
- When the Advanced Privacy Settings window appears, place a check in the checkbox next to 'Override automatic cookie handling'.
- Click OK on the Advanced Privacy Settings window and Internet Options window to close.
You should now have the proper Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 7.0 browser (cookie) configuration settings to access www.referenceusa.com remotely without impediment.
See "What types of authentication methods are available for access to ReferenceUSA?" for further details on authentication.Top of this Page
What are the minimum system requirements for accessing ReferenceUSA?
Microsoft Windows XP or greater
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or greater
Macintosh OSX or greater
Internet Explorer 8.0 or greater
Firefox 19.0 or greater
Google Chrome 19.0 or greater
Safari 3.0 or greater
Remove my consumer record?
How do I remove my business record?
All Infogroup/ReferenceUSA information is compiled from public sources. We will be happy to honor your request to remove your business record from our database. Please be advised that our data powers many top internet search engines which use our data for their online directories. This also includes companies which use our data for their on-board navigation systems. Your company's online presence could be diminished by suppressing your record.
To have the business record suppressed in our database, we require that you submit your request in writing on business letterhead and that the request be signed by the owner. This request may be mailed to:
Infogroup - Content Feedback
1020 E 1st St.
Papillion, NE 68046.
It may also be faxed to (402) 836-3993.
If you prefer to send by e-mail, the e-mail address the request is coming from must include the owner's and company name in the body of the e-mail address to serve the purpose of signature, and be sent to email@example.com.Top of this Page